Navigational Pages

Tuesday 11 February 2014

University Year Abroad Pre-Nerves?

Back in September 2011 I was getting ready to fly over to Spain and begin my year in Zaragoza. The Summer leading up to my departure day  was full of anticipation and nerves. I can ever remember on my university's 'open day', the brief chat about the year abroad was already giving me butterflies in my stomach, so times those butterflies by 2 more years and I think I had enough of them in my belly to take off. However, I knew I was not alone with my worries, and there are probably plenty of you out there now with your year abroad approaching this September who have the exact same nerves as I did. What I have to say to you is PLEASE DON'T FEAR & HAVE NO REGRETS. 

#NOFEAR
You are bound to feel nervous and slightly fearful, this is only natural. What I mean by 'don't fear' is once you have arrived try to relax and take it all in, and soon you will realise it is not as half as scary as you had pictured in your mind. I must admit, I was fortunate enough to go to Zaragoza with one of my best friends from university, however with social media these days it is so simple to get into communication with other students heading to the same city abroad as you. I joined a couple Zaragoza Erasmus society groups on Facebook, and I would really recommend this. Through Facebook groups like these you are able to share nerves and questions with others who are in the same position as yourself. Something else these groups are handy for are, if you are going to a country without any other students from your country's university then it is a good way to find people to share accommodation with (so many students will be in this position, and therefore will be up for this- so don't be afraid to ask!) 
Another suggestion; if you can afford it and fancy it, organise a weekend away to the place you are living in before you begin your year. Two of the girls I was going to Zaragoza with and myself did this (mainly to sort out accommodation for our year ahead) and it gave us a good feel for the city. Although we did find somewhere to rent, I wouldn't worry too much about this before arriving. If you are able to sort out flatmates (even if not) there are plenty of ways to find properties once there. In Zaragoza they had posters EVERYWHERE advertising for rooms and flats, alternatively members of the Facebook groups published available rooms. 
If you are someone like me who has a few fears beforehand, then maybe try some of these suggestions to 'get head' and this will calm some of your nerves. Once you settle in though, I can guarantee you will be having a blast  :D.

#NOREGRETS
As corny as this sounds- take the bull by the horns and do everything you can! Any socials organised by the Erasmus societies- go to them! If any of your Erasmus friends ask you to do something- say yes! You only get to do this year once, so you might as well make the most of it. If you choose to do the studying at the university option like I did, this will give you plenty of extra time to explore the city and also travel around the rest of the country you are staying in. 

A group of us got the travelling bug whilst on our year abroad, and at any chance we got, we planned trips away. I'm not sure about other countries, but in Spain we found travelling around reasonably cheap. I can recommend this coach company: http://www.alsa.es/en/. Also, hostels will become your new best friends on these trips, and not as half as scary as they make them out to be in the horror movies. Hostels= cheap & clean, they even throw in breakfast sometimes!  

Lastly, enjoy the country's way of life! I know... this does sound a bit hippie, but can be fun. When in Spain we gained about 10 stone each from tapas feasts, rum, bread (literally served with every meal-even when you order a sandwich), and more carbs. Spain's national anthem should include the lyrics "Spainnnn, I never knew I loved your carbs before, but now I cannot fit through the doorrrr" (work in progress). We also tried to learn salsa (emphasis on 'tried'), it was something different though, especially learning how to do it in Spanish. 

So yes...please feel nervous now (nerves are good for you) but also know that you have got one of the best years ahead of you as well! In fact, I am very jealous...can I come?  








No comments:

Post a Comment