Navigational Pages

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Sex(y hiking boots), Drugs (legal leaf chewing), and Rock n’ Roll Llamas

Peru- a country that is bursting with culture, friendly faces, and picturesque landscapes that will take your breath away (no seriously- there are high altitudes). I spent 85% of my tour snapping my camera hoping not to miss a shot of something incredible. Subsequently, this left me with over 600 snaps, nevertheless, I am able to look back at my 40 photos of different angled jungle trees with fond memories. Here are my top five reasons why you need to visit Peru.

Numero Uno- The Uros Islands (or also known as the floating islands).

The construction alone startles me as essentially they are islands made of dried reeds; strong enough to support families and homes. The day our tour group visited the floating islands we were greeted by a choir of Uros Women. We were given a brief chat about their culture and history by the 'mayor' of that specific island, who appeared to have a great sense of humour- fooling us into believing that she had 5 husbands and 10 children. They welcomed us into their homes, and provided us with their vibrant clothing to try on. We even had a chance to ride on one of their reed boats.
Tip- Make sure you chew on plenty of coca leaves (recommended by your tour guides), or even sample some coca tea while in the Puno/ Lake Titicaca region as it is around 12,350 ft above sea level. The coca leaves help to prevent altitude sickness.

Dos- Huayna Picchu

The climb will make you curse yourself for all those times you didn't go to the gym, but the views from the top of this pyramid shaped mountain are spectacular. Unfortunately some of us in the tour group did not get a spot on the Inca Trail walk so instead we were booked on to the Huayna Picchu climb. Before Peru I knew nothing about the other Picchu, but if you are going to Machu Picchu it is definitely worth getting a ticket for Huayna Picchu.

Tres- The Amazon Jungle & staying in Posada Amazonas

Have you ever wanted to be a celebrity just for the opportunity to be on I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here...No-just me? My one night stay amongst the animals and insects was definitely an experience I won't forget quickly. Here is a link to the lodge, check out the piccys : http://www.perunature.com/posada-amazonas.html

Cuatro- Llamas

They are everywhere and I soon developed a little obsession with them; purchasing jumpers, magnets, bags, key rings-  you name it I bought it with llamas on. They are cute looking things with their big Betty Boop eyes and funky hair, and no doubt you will have a whole album's worth dedicated to them.

Cinco- La Lucha Sandwich Bar in Miraflores (Lima)

You may be thinking- A sandwich bar made it on to your list along with a natural wonder? Yes, you would be correct. If sandwiches were a religion I'd certainly practice it and La Lucha would be my God. Their sandwiches are A*. I recommend El Preferido sandwich. (I have never seen the word sandwich so many times- I'm beginning to salivate).

No comments:

Post a Comment