Navigational Pages

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Back to baking: Coffee and Walnut Cake

Once upon a time in a couple of posts ago... I wrote that I had been neglecting my hobbies & interests and job hunting had taken over my life, moreover, I was going to make the effort to dabble back into them . I have been out and about capturing pictures on my camera, so that is a tick off the check list, and yesterday I indulge in a bit of cake baking (and cake batter eating). I love to bake and cook and forgot how much enjoyment I get out of it (not as much enjoyment I get out of eating the cake itself of course). Our fridge is Piccadilly Circus for recipes, all pinned up by llama  and smiley face magnets. I picked the coffee and walnut cake and it turned out so scrum, if I do say so myself. Here is the recipe I followed!

For the sponge you will need: 

175g butter (at room temp) 
175g golden caster sugar 
3 large eggs
4 tablespoons of black coffee, cooled 
175g self raising flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
100g halved walnuts, roughly chopped 

And then for the frosting: 

200g butter 
400g icing sugar
4 table spoons of black coffee, cooled


  1. Pre- heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease and line with baking paper 2 x 20 cm tins. 
  2. Using a whisk, beat the soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
  3. Add in the eggs bit by bit, followed by the black coffee. Combine all together. 
  4. Sift in the flour and baking powder and gently fold, then add in the chopped walnuts and stir in. 
  5. Divide into the 2 tins. 
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. 
  7. Once cooked turn out the cakes on to wire racks to cool. 
  8. Meanwhile, make the frosting by beating the butter until pale and soft. After pour in the sugar and coffee and mix until all combined nicely. 
  9. Spread on the top of both the sponges. Then place one on top of the other to create a sandwich that has icing as the filling (and on the top). 
  10. Decorate with walnuts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment